What Im Trading: Alberto -
What I’m Trading: Alberto

Occupation: Chef
Industry: Hospitality
Age: 37
Location: Australia
Stake Portfolio Size: <US$50k

Define your trading style.

I guess I am an old soul. Probably Warren Buffet style with less capital. I know everyone is saying the guy is getting old but still I think some of his strategies work for me. 80% of my holdings are made by companies I strongly believe in and will hold forever.  My goal is to create a stable and constantly growing portfolio. The other 20% is dedicated to newbies and companies with momentum. I am not a huge fan of day trading, even because it would be more of a “night trading”.  Where I come from there is no better feeling than making money while I am sleeping.

Why are you in the market?

Because I would be scared not to be.

The stock market gives all of us a huge opportunity and I am not leaving it on the table.

I grew up in Italy, looking at my grandpa writing down the value of every single company he was interested in, every day, for years. Back then, when he wanted to place an order, he had to call the bank and speak to the director, make an appointment to place the trade. Only after four days, he could then pay a good fee, no matter how much was the amount he was investing, to see his purchase finalised.

He was never interested in explaining how to do it and what his strategy was, he was just saying:

“Let’s see if today we can buy a bigger house.”

Later in the years, I understood the meaning of “the bigger house” for a guy who came from a simple family, saw the war and lived through the Great Depression. For him, the stock market was nothing less than his freedom and a great step for a bigger life.

This is what drives me to invest. And why I decided to be the investor I am.

What are a few positions in your portfolio right now?

Some of the strongest positions are:

  • ARGX
  • NVDA
  • MU
  • TSLA
  • PLUG
  • NIO
  • MCD
  • MSFT
  • SQ
  • ABT
  • CGNX
  • ISRG
  • NKE
  • RCL
  • SPOT
  • ZBRA

Some other holdings are more long term and more linked to my vision of their capacity to face unprecedented times:

  • SFIX
  • DAL
  • DIS
  • PK
  • SKYY
  • ACOR
  • BILI
  • CHEF
  • AAN

How are your returns so far?

I’m about +20% across my portfolio, but that’s mainly because my strategy involves regular funds adding to my portfolio, I can estimate an average of 45% a year return.

What are you keeping an eye on?

At the moment I’m keeping a close eye on retail companies while figuring which one will come out as a new player for the next decade.

Of course, I would lie if I said that I am not keeping an eye also on Pfizer and Moderna.

In addition to that, I am pondering whether it’s time to buy NKLA, considering what they have lost and the technology they hold, I can say with confidence that they could be a good performer in the future.

Any prediction for a stock, industry or general markets?

Although it’s always hard to publicly predict the market, I found that sharing ideas and predictions with my investors’ community has been productive and helpful on both ends.

I can say that in the last few years the biggest players are apps like Stake. All over the world, every day more people gain immediate access to the market. Investors blogs or any finance websites can influence big crowds to buy or short a company.

My strategy will be to keep the tech and cloud companies present in my portfolio. Some of them will most likely be around for the next thirty years and they are not going to be there without making a profit.

Biomedical and resources are other industries I’ll never tire being a part of.

If I have to pick some for the future: ISRG, NVDA, SQ, ARGX.

ICYMI: make your own decisions

This is not investment advice, just my opinion. It doesn’t reflect any opinions of Stake. I’m as fresh to this as the next person off the street. Do your own research and make your own decisions.

Related Posts →

The Wrap
January 20, 2021

The Wrap: Power Hungry

A new perspective on dirty mining, Cathie Wood is headed to space, and the true cost of a sick day…
The Wrap
January 13, 2021

The Wrap: Doing Fine

How fine is a company after a fine and the utopia being built by the Saudi Crown Prince. Plus, a…
The Wrap
January 13, 2021

The Line

HRH Prince Mohammed bin Salman; the man with a Musk-like vision to build the city of the future, Saudi Arabia’s…
Next Post